Self-awareness is the key. How can your young person change or improve any aspect of their life if they are not aware that this part of their life requires attention or even exists? Self-awareness is essential because it gives your young person a better understanding of themselves, including their thoughts and beliefs, their emotions, and motivations. It empowers them to make changes and to build on their areas of strength, and to identify areas where they would like to make improvements. It is the first step towards developing their mental strength.
How you can help!
- Encourage them to practice mindfulness and meditation. Meditating frequently can go a long way, even if only for 5 minutes at a time.
- Help them learn to practice deep breathing exercises.
- Have them keep a journal — and practice daily self-reflection.
- Help them write down their goals, plans, and priorities.
- Have them ask their trusted friends to describe them.